Wednesday, July 14, 2010

An old project finished!

Last month I found a box hidden deep in a closet containing 12" blocks which were made in a Canadian Round Robin in 2001. I put the blocks up on the design wall and was determined to do something with them...9 years is long enough to steep! (A side note...I have no idea why I became so determined about this particular project and why it jumped the queue of my other UFO's waiting for attention???!!!)
I fixed the 2 things I didn't like about the developing quilt and machine quilted with an all over free motion swirly design, using up odds and ends of old thread. I had no thread breakage at all in spite of quilting at top speeds, so I guess the Magic Bobbin Washers were a good investment! I had a couple of little "fold overs", which I don't like, that I had to unstitch and re-quilt,  and that usually happens when I am quilting too fast.

This photo shows the quilt from the back. I used up the remaining fabric that I cut the binding for this quilt from.

And here is the finished quilt! I don't love it, but I do love that it is FINISHED and hope that some little girl will enjoy finding the little fairies hiding in these blocks.

14 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Congrats on finishing an UFO!
Sometimes a quilt *gets bossy* and just wants to be completed! :)

Karen said...

I admire your determination to get the quilt blocks into a finished piece.
I have never heard of the Magic Bobbin Washers. I popped over to the link and read about them.

Janet said...

The quilt looks great. You have given me hope of finishing some UFOs I have simmering. I've heard of the "washers" and have been wondering if they were worth the price. Great finish!

The Cozy Quilter said...

So nice to finish an old UFO! I think some little girl will love this quilt.

Gail

Jeanne said...

Perseverance! It looks great, Kathy.
Sometimes just a little tweaking is all a quilt needs and you tweaked well.

Gina said...

A great quilt for a litt;e girl. Well done on the finish

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Angie said...

Oh, I think you did a great job on it. It's very pretty......and better yet, its complete! =)

Diane said...

nothing like the feeling of a finish! woo-hoo for you.

Gari in AL said...

The quilt turned into a beauty. Nice work.

sewnut said...

I think I have seen this in pieces! It is fun to see it done. And.... Done is Perfect!

Heather said...

Congrats on finishing.

AnnieO said...

Finished is such a great feeling! Glad you successfully transitioned this oldie from your UFO list. Some little girl WILL love it!

Candace said...

I think that it is adorable, what could be better than flowers, butterflies, little houses and pink.
Great to be finished, too.

Judy D in WA said...

Yeah for a finish! Nothing better than marking an UFO off the list. Some little girl is going to be thrilled with this quilt. Good job!