Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sweet treats from leftovers

What do you do with your quilting leftovers?
When I listened to Bonnie Hunter's interview on Pat Sloan's radio show, she talked about the importance of cleaning up after you finish a project and shared her ideas for organizing yourself. Bonnie compared it to cleaning up the kitchen after you finish cooking a meal. I am going to try out some of her ideas,  but in the meantime, this photo shows the bag of stuff leftover from my polka dot disappearing 9 patch from last year (click here to see my quilt). One of my closets has bags and boxes full of project leftovers just like this pile.
After visiting the Calico Gals in December and being inspired by their collection of adorable little pincushions, I decided to turn my leftovers into as many pincushions and pillows as I could make. It turned into a wee bit of an obsession and I especially loved using up my baby Half Square Triangles. Here is the pile of some of the pillows and pincushions I have made so far. I briefly thought I should open an Etsy store and sell these...I have enough leftovers to make thousands of them! But then I remembered that when you sell something, you never get to see it again and I changed my mind! LOL
Some of them are stuffed with shredded scraps of batting and some are stuffed with crushed walnut shells which is what the staff at Calico Gals recommended for their pincushions. I tried many combinations and decided that I like a combination of about 1/4 batting and 3/4 walnut shells. I also decided that I did not like how it turned out when I did some quilting on the little block before turning it inside out.


Then I got my mini quilt group turning their leftovers into these adorable treats and here are some photos of what they created.


A couple of pincushions, a hot mat and some bookmarks!




Here's a little collection of tiny pillows and pincushions. It was fun hearing about the projects that were originally made from these fabrics. See the trolls in the corners of some of the blocks?!?
I also thought it might be fun to put a little pocket on the back of the pillows to hold little love notes or other treasures.
Here is another group of projects. One group member made up a watermelon pincushion (click here for pattern) that she made from a kit she purchased at Quilter's Nine Patch and it was adorable. Someone made a paper pieced fish, and someone else...not mentioning any names (Barb) got carried away with beading her pincushion, which grew a tail and morphed into a fish! What great fun we had!

18 comments:

Diane said...

Oh My that is amazing what you made for leftovers that many quilters would toss!!
I love pincushions w/ the crushed walnut shells the best--a little wool batting in there would probably be good for the pins too!
I'll bet they would sell quickly if you changed your mind.

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane said...

I deleted it because it somehow duplicated itself...my bad (I guess.)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Oh they are all adorable! How fun! :-)

Darlene said...

Wow, look at your fun pin cushions! Very sweet indeed.

Quilt Rat said...

These are fantastic.......I just might have to make a few myself
LOVE the fish!

Ariane said...

They all look adorable!!!

Thelma said...

Oh you're so right, those adorable pin cushions would definitely sell on etsy, but I couldn't part with them either. So far I've made 3, but gave 2 away. I just love them!!

I really like that cleaning up the sewing room analogy, so true, I don't leave dirty pots and pans sitting around or leave the groceries sitting on the counter!

What a great post, THANKS!!

Cyndi loves to stitch said...

cute pincushions, lots of things to do with little bits and pieces!!! you have a great collection of things here. cyndi

scrappy nanna said...

All the projects are adorable...I like to use larger quantities of fabric leftovers to make baby quilts for the hospital and then you would still have small bits to make pin cushions.I fill my pin cushions with flax seeds, they feel like bean bags, and the seed oil is good for needles and pins.
No scary mail as yet!!!!

Anonymous said...

How cute and what wonderful ideas! My guild has a boutique at their show - what a great way to use up scraps and contribute to the cause also!

Thanks for the ideas!

Bari

Sweet P said...

What great beauties to make from leftovers! Enjoy them.

Ruthie said...

What a GREAT idea. I just donated bags of stuff like that to our guild auction. Most likely, I won't be buying them back, but will keep this in mind for future use.

The Calico Cat said...

But I SOOOOOOO don't work that way. I "NEVER" do one thing from begining toend & I so often have 2 or 3 plans for 1 piece of fabric...

Quilts And Pieces said...

They are way too cute!

Ginger Patches said...

I have big ziploc bags in my closet full of my leftovers too!! Every now and then I put them to use, but usually I just want to move on to something new!

sewnut said...

I love your plethora of pin cushions.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love the basket with the over flowing pincushions. I'd wanna keep them all too and just look at them. Very cute.
Love that block you made too.