Friday, February 06, 2009

Winter

It's COLD here! I envy those of you who don't have to worry about freezing to death while you while you brush the snow off your car in the morning! This is the ice hanging on the corner of our house. It was minus 27 degrees on my outdoor thermometer yesterday. It was so cold that the schools did not allow the children to go outside for a 15 minute recess!
So I made turkey soup. It seems to be some kind of evolutionary response for me...it's cold and I am compelled to make a soup or stew for the family to survive! After we eat our Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys, I throw the bones in the freezer in my old tupperware container and then in the middle of the winter when these urges kick in, I get that box of bones out of the freezer and get to work. First I boil the carcass for a couple of hours, strain it, and separate the bones from the meat. And then spend some relaxing time listening to the CBC radio, washing and chopping whatever veggies I have in the fridge. On the left you can see the carcass ready to go in the garbage, and the chopped veggies - cabbage, zucchini, green onion, carrots, celery and red peppers ready to go into the pot.
And ta da...here is the finished product!
A hearty turkey vegetable soup.
I'd like to be able to put the vegetable peelings in my composter, but it's too far from the house and the snow is too deep to get there. I'd also like to have an indoor vermicomposter like Libby does (read the Jan. 15th post) but I can't get my family to agree to having the little wigglers in the house...obviously they'd freeze to death out on the porch...even sitting in the sun!
I am getting myself organized to attend a quilt retreat at the end of the month...going through some of my UFO cupboards and figuring out which projects to take along. I like to include a balance of projects that include machine piecing, machine quilting, hand embroidery, binding, paper piecing...so I can work on whatever I feel like in the moment. I'll show you the pile when it's assembled!

4 comments:

Jean said...

yummm, this soup looks delicious. We are having unseasonly warm weather the next few days for Iowa. I got up to 60 here today....it is awesome!
Hope it warms up there soon!

Gina said...

I'm the same as you. As soon as the thermometer dips below zero then the soup pan comes out.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Annie said...

I also make soup or stew when it gets cold - you must be close by ......... we also have been having very cold weather.......

Julie said...

Good soup. I still have a ham bone in my freezer from Thanksgiving. Today it was in the 70's - nice day and of course no snow!!