Friday, April 11, 2008

Another Quilt Finished!

This is the finished quilt made by the "Sew 'n Sews" group which we called "Wings of Friendship". It was a difficult quilt to photograph since noone in the group was tall enough to hold it up! If you missed reading about the development of this quilt, you can read about it here. We sent it out for hand quilting by a local Mennonite group and it has been submitted to the Mennonite Relief Sale Committee to be auctioned in May. I have rarely missed attending this auction since I started quilting 16 years ago, but have never had a quilt in the auction that I took part in making. So this year's auction will be even more exciting! I usually have attended with my Mom, and we always buy a Strawberry pie - it signals the beginning of summer for us, even though some years have been quite chilly!
If you have ever made a group quilt you will know that it can be a challenging endeavour. Each quilter's quarter inch seam is different, and each artist has her own ideas about things such as use of colour, adding borders, etc . But I have to say that we had a wonderful time working together, getting to know each other's strengths, and making decisions as we went along in a way that we all could be happy with.
And here we are - pleased as punch to see our finished quilt! Now what are we going to work on!??!

12 comments:

Leanne said...

What a beautiful quilt good luck with the auction I hope it raises a lot of money.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

The quilt is lovely.Nothing like a group quilt to bring you all together. Some of my favorites are ones done with the "girls".

Khris said...

Way to go Kathy....the quilt looks fabulous...hugs Khris

Khris said...

Way to go Kathy....the quilt looks fabulous...hugs Khris

Amanda said...

Sounds like you all had great fun. Best of luck at the auction. Something I just haven't found here in the UK is a quilting group, so I'm a solitary quilter. I hope to find a group someday though.

Elisabeth Augusta said...

Ahh, this is beautiful. Hope it collects lots of money for you.

Greenmare said...

oh it is just fabulous! and you all look soooooooooooo CUTE cuddled up under it! what a wonderful thing to do!

Ginger Patches said...

Very cool project! I hope it does great at the auction...how could it not? It's beautiful!

Sweet P said...

What an outstanding quilt. I bet it will do well in the auction. Who wouldn't want butterflies on their bed?

Libby said...

It's a beauty . . . hope it brings a good bid.

sewnut said...

I think it is time I catch up and meet you for a slice of Strawberry Pie again. I really enjoy watching the auction dynamics and have missed it the last 3 years,

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for your lovely comment on the CC... it is nearing the finish; I've ordered more of the yellow fab to use as a border...it was a must. The first border is on...we shall see.... I love the butterfly quilt and hope that you get lots of mulah! It is gorgeous and should bring in the monies. Good luck. I like your work; much talent here!
Hugz
Pam