Sunday, June 17, 2007

365 progress

I spent some time today working on my 365 quilt. This was an idea that was started by Leanne Beasley on her blog. (Click here to read her description of the project.) On the left are my fabrics...I am only using neutrals, even though I have already been told that it is "boring to look at" (by someone who shall remain nameless)! Well, it is interesting to me and I really think that my children will appreciate this effort in the future. Every day I write an entry on strips of fabric ironed to freezer paper - shown on the right. I try to alternate fabrics so that they will be spread evenly throughout the quilt. When I have time, I cut the entries apart and sew them together in chronological order. I plan to insert pieced mini blocks (4" wide) and embroidered month labels. I enjoy the process...thinking about what went on each day that I'd like to remember - where we went and what we did. Here are some of my entries sewn together into long strips.
It was a good project to work on after spending most of the weekend with my extended family. It was wonderful to see my siblings and their families. We stayed up too late into the wee hours of the morning, playing games and laughing until our bellies hurt! And as always, it was a blessing to be able to spend time with my brother and my father this weekend, both of whom have had such serious health issues that we never know how long we will have with them. We treasure every memory...that is what I wrote for my 365 block today.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

I truly admire your dedication to this project. I was so excited when Leanne described it on her blog and couldn't wait to cut fabric. And, I have yet to start working on it. It would take just a few minutes of every day but I have not done it. I'm hoping that you'll inspire me to get started!

Helen in the UK said...

What a super idea. I love neutral fabrics and I'm sure they will look great. You can always add extra colour with the pieced blocks if you want to :)