Saturday, April 21, 2007

My favorite quilt store

The Stashbuster Webring topic of the week is: "Tell us about your favorite quilt store and why it is your favorite". My favorite store is "Little Quilts" in Marietta, Georgia. For a store to be your "favorite", there must be an emotional attachment, right? In 1994 when I was pregnant and on complete bedrest for 3 months, my husband bought me a book called "Little Quilts". I loved looking through this book and dreaming about quilts. With my limited fabric stash, I hand pieced a little quilt for my parents and my siblings for Christmas gifts, while laying in my bed. This was a very stressful time for me, having already lost one pregnancy, so my quilting helped me to stay relaxed and sane. The five quilts I made in those three months are mostly all hand appliqued, pieced, and quilted. I did sneak down to the sewing machine to sew on the borders and bindings, but don't tell anyone! Here is one of the little quilts I made:
In 2000 I had the unexpected opportunity to visit the Little Quilts store in Georgia and loved seeing all the projects in person. They have a great selection of fabric that is perfect for miniature quilts, and very friendly staff that made my shopping experience pure heaven! The displays around the store are beautiful and I felt so happy just to be there. My bag of purchases is small because our funds were limited, but I can't tell you what a great day that was!
And then in 2001 after the September 11th tragedy, the Little Quilts staff asked quilters around the world to send in miniature quilts to honour the dead firefighters and police officers. Of course I made a quilt to send, and I wrote about that experience in this blog entry.
I can't wait to visit the Little Quilts store again some day, but until then, I enjoy reading the regular emails sent from staff member Kathy Niemann describing all the classes, new merchandise and happenings at Little Quilts.

4 comments:

Carole said...

Thanks for sharing your experience! I just love quilting therapy! Happy quilting!

swooze said...

I am so glad you got to visit that store. Was it an emotional visit for you?

Quilter Kathy said...

Yes...it was very emotional going to the Little Quilts store. It was so unreal to me that I was actually there, and I alternated between feeling like I might cry and feeling unbelievably happy!
I just wanted to sit down in the middle of the floor for the entire day and watch the quilters shopping!

Greenmare said...

Neat story~
thanks for sharing your little quilts shop with us~
I love your Orange too!!!