Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Miniature Class - 1st day of Spring!

Today was one of my monthly miniature quilt classes and as always, the students brought back the projects they started last month. In February's class they worked on creating unique quilts using squares as the only design unit. They selected their colours and fabrics, cut whatever size of squares they preferred to work with, ranging from 1" to 2", and then worked on designing a quilt. As you can see from the varied results, each quilter did something completely different with their design. Some students even had time to quilt and bead their projects..aren't these quilts just wonderful?!?!
Today is the first day of spring on our calendar. Even the chipmunks came out today to see what was going on! We get very excited here when the snow starts to melt and the creatures start to come out of hibernation! I spotted this little one and took a quick photo of her, which turned out quite well even though it was taken through the window and between the blinds!
And, other "I hope winter is over" news...I saw my first robin this week! This always makes me feel happy and remember that spring is indeed coming. On the right is an older mini quilt that I call "Birdhouse Blues" with paper pieced house blocks. It is 5 1/2" x 6" and I still love that birdpoop fabric on the bottom of the quilt!

5 comments:

Sweet P said...

Wow! Those are adorable miniature quilts. The bordhouse quilt is fantastic, including the bird poop. Great job!

Jeanne said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures from your miniature class which sounds and looks very creative. The birdhouse quilt is very cute, poop and all!

swooze said...

Love your little birdhouse quilt. The miniatures are neat! I plan to do one someday.

Greenmare said...

I love your bird house blues! Are the little birdies across the top applique? the bird poop is perfect! happy spring!

Quilter Kathy said...

Thank you for your comments on my little birdhouses! The birds on a wire at the top is a print from the same fabric line as the bird poop at the bottom, and on the back is a fabric with little birdie footprints!