Sunday, May 01, 2016

Slow Sunday Stitching Muster

I enjoy discovering new words, and my word of the week is "muster". Do you know what it means? I know this word in the context of "passing muster", which means making the grade or being successful. But what is a "muster station"? 
I had to ask Mr. Wikipedia who says that it is a place to gather for emergency drills on a ship and it is where the lifesaving equipment would be located.

Which led to the question...
where is my life muster station and what kind of equipment does it have? 
Here it is right here!
My muster station is beside any lake and there are lots of needles, threads, and fabric. What else would you need to get you safely through life? The more stressful life is, the more you need the stitching!


You might also want some strong support people to throw you into a lifeboat as necessary!
And you'd want lots of fresh air and nature, especially birds and trees.
Just look at these lovely creatures (I think they are red breasted mergansers) that were hanging around as I was stitching this weekend. It was the perfect sight to see as I was stitching this block.
Life Is Beautiful block #23




And here it is... my most recently completed Life Is Beautiful block. It says: "don't look for inspiration, be the inspiration"
It's my favourite block so far! LOL

What's inspiring you this week and what are you working on? Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project.



19 comments:

Sarah said...

Lovely blue sky and peaceful relaxing photos. Nice red work today and a particularly good moto! Have an inspiring day!

Turid said...

My muster station is always where the fabric and needles are. And I have to mention my husband, too. Wouldn't manage without him. That embroidery is so sweet. The very best for me is when somebody tells me I inspire them. Have a nice Sunday.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

oh I think this is my favorite now too! :)

The Crafty Creek said...

I love these Life is Beautiful blocks that you are stitching, the words are beautiful

SandraC said...

Very nice pictures for our slow Sunday. Can't wait to see the next block you choose, AKA your new favourite, lol

Unknown said...

Well, after following your blog for almost a year, I finally caved and ordered the Life is Beautiful pattern last week. I need another project like a drowning man needs water but your blocks are so wonderful, I couldn't resist. Haha! Love the newest addition.

I'd heard the phrase "Muster your courage" before so gathering your courage is appropriate. Have a great day!

Deanna W said...

Who are you kidding...your favorite block is always the one you just finished. I guess my gazebo is a muster station, water, trees, birds and good support people!! Looking forward to July with you all!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I'm having company today so no slow stitching time for me. What lake is that? It looks like a great place to stitch!

CathieJ said...

I love the sentiment to be the inspiration. Your pictures are so pretty. I love to be beside a lake.

Denise :) said...

Do you know . . . we spent a week at the lake (just came back) and I didn't take a thing to stitch. What in the world was I thinking??! I always had to 'make muster' when I served in the Navy. LOL! :)

KaHolly said...

Excellent post! Well thought out and delightfully written. I just love the Life Is Beautiful blocks and the pattern has been on my wish list for a very long time. I'm working on two hand stitching projects right now, but haven't taken any pics yet. Have a wonderful day! XO

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the hand stitching, how many blocks do you have done now, need to see them altogether

Stephie said...

What a lovely post Kathy! I did know what a muster station is, but I haven't worked out what should be at mine...although your list would be pretty close I think. Love your latest block, have a great time stitching this afternoon :)

Cathy said...

When I think of the word muster I think of assembling the troops. Some days I can hardly muster enough energy to do much of anything. But with inspiration like I see on Sunday I'm ready for some slow stitching! (You definitely are the inspiration!)

Cath said...

lovely post....thanks for hosting.

Teresa in Music City said...

Your Life is Beautiful blocks never fail to inspire me Kathy! I've been doing lots of hand stitching lately but no time to blog about them. Hopefully next week!

Janet O. said...

A great block--and I love your muster station! : )

Jeanne said...

Love your Life is Beautiful block, Kathy!

Kate said...

Thanks for the "word of the day". Who says blog reading isn't educational?