Sunday, April 19, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching - Project Bag

Life is Beautiful Block #5




This week I have been stitching on my Life Is Beautiful project. I finished my 5th block which had some fun stitches, including a feather stitch down the middle of the pear. 

One of the best things about hand stitching is that it is a portable activity. Wherever I go, I always have my hand stitching project bag with me. This is the shop hop bag I made many years ago and I still use it to carry projects in. It's lightweight and just the perfect size to be an easy take-along. Most people are sure to take their purse, a wallet, keys, or other necessities when they leave the house, (and I do take those things too), but I always take some hand stitching with me - just in case. In case I have waiting time, down time, traffic jam time, or visiting time, I can keep my hands busy and my heart calm and happy. 


And what's inside my bag? Today it has my next Life Is Beautiful block in it, along with everything I might need - hoop, thread, and scissors. Every project bag needs it's own pair of scissors, since there is nothing worse than having lots of stitching time but no scissors to cut your thread!
How do you carry your hand stitching projects around with you? Link up your hand stitching blog post below and your project bag/box/tote ideas with us.




21 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your embroidered pear.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Kathy,
lovely stitches, must laugh about your post. I always have my stitching projects with me as well. Even when it is just for a few minutes, one stitch after the other and small progess leads to a finish too.
I like to carry my handstitching in a little backpack I have made years ago.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Quilting Stories said...

Such sweet embroideries! Have a great Sunday Kathy!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love your stitches on the pear. My daughter gave me a bag to use for my quilting years ago. She did not like the reusable grocery bag I had been using! I also use it for shopping at quilt shows and stores. Happy stitching to you!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I don't take any handwork on the go so this will be interesting to read. Love the little pear

Jo said...

How cute.
I traced out a new stitching pattern for FNSI. I have been away and now just sitting stitching.
Hopefully tomorrow I will get a post done to catch up.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have some pretty embroidery going on

SandraC said...

I pack up a bag when I go to guild meetings, but now I'm thinking I should have a go-to bag ready all the time, too!

Denise :) said...

I love that handwork is portable. I take it to work, to babysit, for any drive longer than twenty minutes . . . it's perfect! And I get a lot more finished that way! LOL! Love your little pear! :)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Oh I too love your Life is Beautiful series....how fun to get to a project you've had on hand for awhile. Your color scheme is perfect! (Can't resist that fun tote too!!)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I forgot to answer your question on how to carry your hand stitching. Actually I mainly only hand stitch at home. Occasionally if I bring something with me for in the car I will put things in a small tote bag or if on a plane a ziplock bag where everything can be seen easily for inspection if needed. I don't know why i just do not carry anything with me for traffic jams etc - maybe because I live in the country and we do not normally have traffic jams :)

Monica said...

I use the always elegant Ziploc bag to carry around my portable hand stitching! It keeps it clean, and flat, and fits in my purse. I rarely use a hoop, so that helps!

Cathy said...

Probably won't get to do any slow stitching today because this time of year I spend time after work and weekends in the garden but might be able to make a post later on how I carry projects around.

Love the Life is Beautiful. You are moving right along!

Turid said...

I really love your stitcheries.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love the pear--very cute!

CathieJ said...

I love the sentiment on your pear. The feather stitches are great! I love your bag too. So fun.

Sarah said...

I really like your redwork project, really cute! And how right you are - so annoying when you haven't got a pair of scissors to hand! Im like the others I don't tend to take sewing with me but I do take my crochet blanket, so when I get a few minutes I can add a bit more to it. I carry it around in a tote bag I made at textile class a couple of years ago. But at home I have lots of special bags for which ever project Im working on - Bags make me happy!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Each week, I'm sure that the current week's Life is Beautiful block is the best one yet. ;-) I had big plans to spend the day slow stitching, but alas, thanks to some eye issues, I have to avoid eye strain until I can see an ophthalmologist tomorrow ... no stitching today. :-(

Dasha said...

Lovely stitcheries you are doing Kathy

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I wish I had more time to learn and practice some more embroidery stitches. Maybe I should take the craftsy class on crazy quilts. I just embroidery done on quilts. Isn't it amazing what we can get done when we make good use of our time.

audrey said...

One of the best things I ever learned to do--take a project stitching bag with me.:)