Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Grand Illusion



The snow continued to fall here yesterday and through the night, with lots of shoveling happening today to find the sidewalks and dig out the vehicles. 
Yes... I know that I should take down the Christmas decorations, but it's snowy and cold outside!



Bonnie Hunter is having a link up for the Grand Illusion mystery quilts being made from her mystery pattern - click here to see the quilts. I worked hard on mine last week and got it to this stage.


If you follow my blog you might remember that I had to remove my green fabric all together. The green fabric I bought was ...       je ne sais quoi ... too flat, or too grey, or too dull? As soon as I removed the green, I liked my quilt so much better. That issue doesn't happen when you go scrappy (instead of using yardage like I did) because with a wide variety of different greens in there, it would have all worked together. Lesson learned!
Anyway, I made 12 blocks, removed the green sashing strips and have started working on the borders. I have lots of the blue and the cream floral fabrics left, but not much of the other fabrics, so am not sure what I will do next in terms of adding more borders. It was such a fun mystery to sew, since I love lots of small pieces to put together like a jigsaw puzzle! To see more mystery quilts, hop over to Quiltville.

16 comments:

Barb said...

I so love the motion in this quilt.....

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Very pretty. I think you did a great job, and using yardage instead of scrappy works too. I have done one Bonnie Hunter quilt I went rogue and did my own colors all from yardage and it looked pretty. But green to me is like yellow it can be one of those that can make a quilt be kind of dingy looking.

Deanna W said...

After doing all that sewing I don't think I could take it all apart! But I think you were right..it looks much better without the green.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is much warmer here and I still see some Christmas wreaths on doors!! and it got up into the 60's last week

Sue said...

It's looking gorgeous! Love that you put your own twist on it.

Judy D in WA said...

I love that you made it work for you. I also love how the corners of the border make such a statement. Can't wait to see what you add next.

Needled Mom said...

That looks like a lot of snow! Your Illusion is looking great.

canuckquilter said...

I really like your version. Of all the Grand Illusion quilts I've seen, I have liked the ones made from yardage more than the scrappy ones. I'm not averse to scrappy, but this pattern is so busy to begin with that I think the color continuity from yardage lets the eye rest a bit.

Mary said...

glad you made it your own way. If I made it a 2nd time, I would go with yardage. Maybe switch the pink and green. NOT that I am thinking of making it again anytime soon. So many Quilts - So little Time.

Janet O. said...

Good call removing the muted green AND matching the border units to the blocks. : )

The Slow Quilter said...

Love the quilt. I never could get into scrapy quilting. I would still be looking for the right color for the quilt.

Andee said...

Your variation looks great!

Scrappy quilter said...

I really like your variation without the green.

Teresa in Music City said...

Your mystery quilt has such a different look! I love all the different colors and styles of Bonnie's mystery each year. I'm loving yours just the way it is!!!

Missy Shay said...

I like your quilt!

Kate said...

Glad you found a solution that worked. Your version on GI turned out beautifully.