Friday, May 30, 2014

End of the Month Quilty News - Good and Bad


Good News: 

Another quilt is finished! 
This is Nabby's Dowry, which was a really fun mystery sew-along with Pam Buda last fall.  I like this photo, although it is a bit washed out, because it shows the quilting.




All the quilting was stitched using the walking foot. In the setting triangles, I used my Hera Marker to give me a guideline to follow when quilting. I used the width of my 1" ruler to measure each line and just marked the lines as I came to them.  

I call this "mark as you go"!










This is the backing on the quilt. 
It was pieced from all the leftover scraps. If it looks  slightly askew to you, it is! That is not something I planned at all... it's just a little special, slightly annoying bonus!!

The finished size is 36" square, which is the perfect size for a tabletopper.
Do you know what this means?!?  It means that I can start the new sew-along called Market Day! I am planning to make the mini size, so I should be able to catch up quickly.

Bad News: 
As you can probably guess, that in spite of finishing 2 quilts this month, my planned May UFO finish was not one of the finishes. I have no explanation or excuse other than I didn't feel like doing it! I did make one small step in the right direction with the purchase of the border fabric, and this is how is will look eventually, but the border didn't actually get sewn onto the quilt yet. It will get finished next month hopefully!
More disappointing news is that for the first time in many years I can't attend the Mennonite Quilt Auction.  I am hoping that someone out there in quilt land will be attending and can give me the highlights?? I thought it would have been last weekend and double booked myself. So many fun things to do, so little time!
Have a great quilty weekend!

14 comments:

Raewyn said...

Congratulations on completing Nobby Dowry - it is gorgeous - the quilting is just right for it! Love the fabric in the setting triangles! The Market Day sewalong is a fun one - I spend longer choosing my fabrics than I do sewing the blocks!!

Lesley said...

Your Nabby's Dowry quilt is wonderful...congrats on your finish. The border fabric works beautifully with your next finish!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations on a wonderful finish to your Nabby's Dowery.

Ellen said...

Congrats on a great finish! I love the border fabric for your Storm at Sea - it has such wonderful movement.

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish! Nabby's Dowry turned out beautifully. Have fun with your new project.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

congratulations on the finishes - but if we make too many goals and do not finish them don't feel bad about it - it will begin to feel like work if that happens

Mary said...

YEA!!! You got it done in good time. Now you can do the Market Day SAL. Nice border fabric. It's progress even if it isn't DONE! Bummer, you have to miss your fun! Did they change the date for he Quilt Auction?

Janet O. said...

No, wait--finish MY Nabby's Dowry and THEN you can start Market Day!! Not buying it, huh? Oh, well. I tried. : )
It looks great--and I love your mini Storm at Sea. I am stumped on how to quilt mine. Maybe I will wait to see what you do first. I'm such a slacker!

Chantal said...

Congratulation on the finished quilt ... even if it's not the one that was planned for May, it is still a finish!! And it is GOOORRRGEOUS! I love that quilt. I was not in blogland back then and too bad for me because I've missed out on a great quilt.

Rebecca in AK said...

Your Nabby's Dowry quilt is beautiful! I love how you quilted the setting triangles. The back is great! I sometimes have to tell myself, relax, don't put so much pressure on myself about finishing, just enjoy the process and have fun with my quilting! Love the border fabric for your next quilt.

Andee said...

LOVE that mystery quilt! I need to make one!

Deanna W said...

Two finishes are a good thing! I love the plaid you used in the set in triangles too. I was hoping you were going to the auction to supply me with pics...oh well!I hear the girls are shop hopping...are you joining them? Have fun with whatever you are doing this weekend.
Your Northern Blog Stalker!

margaret said...

your finished quilt looks great, to me it has a lovely old fashioned look to it that I really love

Judy D in WA said...

Love the quilting on Nabby's Dowry! Yeah for a great finish. Really like the back too.
I just thought about doing Market Day the other day! Great minds?!?
Sorry you missed the auction.
Progress was made on the May UFO, you picked fabric, right???