Friday, March 14, 2014

Fabric Bowls

Have you ever made a fabric bowl? 
At quilt camp last year I learned the technique from my friend Maria. This is the first bowl I made. 
It was challenging for me to catch on to the technique at first, and then it was really fun. Maria recommended reading the book "It's a Wrap", which I found inspiring.  Also, Ami Simms has a neat video on her website (click here) and a great step by step tutorial (click here).
I made one bowl last year, and then at quilt camp this year I decided to make another one, but didn't get started until recently. 
Bowl making eats up scraps - it uses strips between 1/2" and 3/4".
Here are my supplies.
Cording and fabric scraps are all you need! This shows the beginning of creating the base. I didn't make the big X through the base like Ami recommends, but I think it would be a good idea, especially if you are making a big bowl.

Then you curve the shape to build the sides of the bowl. It starts to take on a life of it's own, and it is exciting to see the bowl begin to grow.



This is how it looks on the inside. 
I stitched a few charms on the inside, facing north, south, east and west. 
I really like the earthy feel of it.




Then, I decided the bowl needed a lid, so I made another
bowl and tried to make it a little flatter, but it didn't work the way I envisioned it. 
I tried to moulded the lid a bit to make it look a little more "lid-like".  I think the wooden button is the perfect touch to finish the bowl.
I'm afraid that I am addicted to bowl making now. I'm sure you'll be seeing more of them on my blog in the future!

16 comments:

Lesley said...

You did a wonderful job! Especially love how you topped one bowl with a lid. So sweet!

Dasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dasha said...

I have made a bowl but not like yours. Mine was made of large hexagons and had a very stiff iron on stiffener between the layers of fabric. I made several one year as Christmas gifts.
Just love yours! And the lid is fabulous - the button just sets it off.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I need to give this a try! The green bowl makes a wonderful thread holder...you could make thread holder bowls in all your thread colours! Just an idea...

beaquilter said...

I love fabric bowls! yours look great!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Good morning Kathy...I have made fabric bowls, but not like this one. Mine were in one piece of fabric on each side; not done with cord. I like the look of yours much better. Never tried them though

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your bowls look great!
Love the one you made with the lid on it - very cute and clever!

I took a class like this once and made round place mats. Not as challenging as bowls but still fun.

Judy D in WA said...

I love making these bowls! LOVE the brown one and the button on the lid.
This makes me want to run in and play right now!

Needled Mom said...

Those are really lovely!

Janet O. said...

I love what you did with the brown one and the button on the lid! I can see how these would be very addictive. Since I definitely don't need another addiction right now, I will NOT try one--they are probably like Lays potato chips, and I'd be hooked. : )

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

I made a small bowl that I keep next to my sewing machine that holds a pin cushion, small sewing scissors and a magnet for picking up dropped pins. Love the colors of your bowl….makes me want to create a few more!!

Chantal said...

I love fabric bowl but I have yet to make one. You make it look so simple. Love the fabric you've pick for your bowl. The earth tone makes it look like an artifact from a long gone civilization with some scribbles on it. I think the lid is such a neat idea and it is perfect size. You're a genius. Thanks for sharing.

scraphappy said...

Oh no! Another great craft idea to try. Looks like fun though, and using scraps is such a nice goal.

genie said...

I love the bowl and the lid. I am wondering if I dare try one. It is such a cool idea and the end product is ever so nice. Yours turned out beautifully. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

Kate said...

Very pretty bowls. I love your "lid"!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

How cute, especially the lid. I have 2 fabric bowls, but, I didn't make either one of them. Mine are well used.