Sunday, December 23, 2012

Slow Sunday Stitching - Handmade gifts

Aren't handmade gifts just the best?!?
This is a delicious homemade orange cranberry loaf I received as an early gift from my 14 year old niece Ellen. She really "gets" the lessons I have been trying to teach and to live. 

Every year I make gifts for my nieces and nephews. I make things they don't need or want, but things that make me happy, and as a reminder to myself and to them, that the most important things in life cannot be bought. I want to remind them that life is all about the relationships you create, not the stuff you accumulate.  
This is a Christmas gift for a family member that I am still working away on. I finally got the letters hand stitched while riding on the bus to work this week (the students are gone home for the holidays, and I had lots of seats to chose from!)
This is the Country Quilts pattern I am trying to make, called "Always Home". It is NOT at all a "great beginner project" as the package states! 
It is a very complex project with lots of little 1" pieces, but I am really enjoying it. I have the scrappy sashing pieced, and have started to build trees and houses. I am wondering tonight if this might become a gift for next Christmas since I seem to be running out of time! LOL!


It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put in the giving.            
Mother Teresa


Link up your hand stitching blogpost below and share what you are making for loved ones this year? 

7 comments:

Gari in AL said...

I agree about handmade gifts. I am not sure my gifts are fully appreciated but I know that while I am making something it gives me time to concentrate on the person or family it is going to. That time is great for me and the hope is that the love I felt while making it is felt by the person/family receiving it.

Laurie said...

I love your post and agree whole-heartedly. Christmas isn't about the gifts received but about spending time with loved ones and friends.

I only wish my MIL and SIL would understand that. Telling her that we're broke this year so they won't be getting expensive store-bought gifts (yet they will get a lot of handmade gifts) wasn't good enough for her... according to her that wasn't a good enough excuse. hmmmph... maybe I'll give her coal instead of all the beautiful gifts I made! LOL Have a wonderful holiday season with your loved ones. *hugs*

Teresa in Music City said...

Thanks for another REAL post Kathy! I always love when you get to the root of the matter :*)

I only had a little time for slow stitching this week, but hoping to get more done today!

Deb A said...

I agree on the hand made gifts. Such a nice gift from your niece. My kids are getting lots of crafts for xmas... which they will make and give to their grand parents and friends and teachers! Have a great holiday Kathy.

Wendy said...

My daughter has made all her gifts this year.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Angie said...

I didn't make a single hand-made gift this year - unusual for me and something I am already planning to rectify for next year. No slow stitching today either, I've been too busy with last-minute shopping and food prep. No matter, the joys of the holiday season abound! Wishing you and yours a very happy Christmas!

Dar said...

Your post is exactly the way I feel too. Wish more people realized this and appreciated the time spent making things fron the heart instead of buying expensive things that have no real meaning. The cake sounds wonderful. Wish I had a slice right now. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends.