Sunday, October 21, 2012

Slow Stitching Sunday

"Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women."  
Maya Angelou 
I have been blessed in having a job for almost 20 years where I have the privilege of working with the most amazing women. In this small group of women each one is 100% committed to our work, to helping other women, and not only our clients, but each other. They have been there for me in ways I cannot even think about without crying, and are one of the amazing blessings in my life for which I am thankful every day.
Every year the parents of one of the social workers offer us the use of their Northern Ontario cottage for a weekend retreat. They get everything ready for us, even though they are in their 80's now, including chopping the wood and preparing the fireplace so that when we arrive it is warm and cozy. 
We talk and talk and talk, and heal some of the pain from the work we do, and we also have lots of fun together. 
However, not a single one of these wonderful women are quilters or crafty in any way. I don't hold that against them! LOL! I stitch away the entire weekend, and they always express interest in what I am making.
How all of this is quilt related is... 
the quilt that I have been hand quilting for the last month (click here to see it) has decided that it wants to be gifted to these most generous cottage owners, who share their peaceful setting with us each year. This quilt tells me it is very excited to be able to live at the cottage and hopes to have a long life keeping this wonderful family warm. 
Now I am totally stoked to finish up the quilting. My plan is to hand quilt every night this week for an hour before bed, and I might even have it done in a week or two, depending how how my skin holds up. 
What are you stitching by hand this week?
Post a link below to your hand work blogpost and your name will be entered in the draw for this Vintage Modern charm pack.


22 comments:

scraphappy said...

What a lovely place for your happy quilt to go and live. Best of all, you will be able to go and visit it when you go on retreat. I enjoyed the quote at the beginning of your post.

Amy said...

Oh wow! The picture of the fog over the lake with the sun coming up in the background----AMAZING!

I haven't done anything on the hand-sewing front in weeks; reading your post (and catching up on the past couple of weeks) have given me some inspiration though.

Me and My Stitches said...

Your retreat with co-workers sounds wonderful (even if they aren't quilters!) and I love that your pretty quilt is finding a home there.

Pokey said...

That will be an absolutely precious gift, Kathy. You know they will appreciate it, as they show thoughtfulness in their giving to you girls! What a blessing to work with your friends ~
:-}pokey

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

What a kind and loving idea. They will treasure it. I only hand quilt and I know you will get it done . Thank you for sharing your touching story.
Right now I am in the process of piecing and then quilting a King Size for our bed using my favorite fabric, Katie Jump Rope.

pcflamingo said...

What a perfect home for the quilt. I don't do "handwork" except for knitting and crocheting any more. I loved the picture of the chairs on the dock with the fog coming up on the water - so picturesque!

Stitched With Prayer said...

What a wonderful, thoughtful gift...it's a beautiful quilt and I'm so glad that I'm not the only person whose quilts talk to her.*wink* I don't have a blog so I tried to link my Flicker page but it wouldn't allow it, not sure why. No worries! Your retread sounds so delightful and therapeutic. Thanks for sharing this lovely experience with us. Hugs...

Anonymous said...

Your Northern Blog Stalker would just like to say it is not "Northern" Ontario unless you are north of Huntsville!!!haha
The pic of the fog is beautiful! Happy hand stitching day to you and enjoy your time away!
Nanna

Debbie said...

Gorgeous photos! What a treat for your retreat.

Wendy said...

Sounds like your quilt is going to a loving home. And you can still visit it every year. I've been stitching my redwork project.

barbara woods said...

hi kathy if you finished 2 things last week can you list them seperate?

Marlene said...

It sounds like you work with some amazing women. What a gorgeous place to debrief and recharge the batteries.
The quilt belongs in that place and you will still get to visit.
Love the quilt on your header.

barbara woods said...

i love that workshop santa but couldn't find a way to follow them

Carrie P. said...

I just love your new header.

How very nice of your friends to allow you spend time at such a beautiful place. And how very nice of you to make them such a gorgeous quilt.

Kate said...

Beautiful header! Very appropriate for the season.

Glad you've found a home for that beautiful quilt. Good luck getting it finished up.

AnnieO said...

Your quilt has spoken well and deserves the chance to have its wish fulfilled!

Janet O. said...

I love the new home you have chosen for your quilt--what a perfect gift!
But a retreat with no other quilters? Didn't know such a thing existed. : )
Love your new header photo--just lovely!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

My mom goes to a cottage with her friends somewhere up by Georgian Bay and she says the same thing... how they talk and talk and how therapeutic it is...must be something in the air up there!

Candace said...

What a wonderful gift to them. It sounds like they are amazing people and I hope that they enjoy their beautiful quilt for many years.

Vicki W said...

What a perfect gift!

Andee said...

I am working on handsewing some hexi flowers. I really enjoy it when I get a chance! LOVE your header quilt photo in all the different colors~

Quiltsmiles said...

How lovely of you for them and of them for all of you. The quilt you made I'm sure will be appreciated.
As for handstitching, I just finished 3 mini pillows that I cross stitched the designs but also sewed the trims on by hand besides finishing the openings of them after stuffing. One is actually a wicked one. Synchronicity.