Sunday, August 26, 2012

Slow Sunday Stitching


I have been doing a lot of hand work this week since my sewing machine has been at the "spa". I miss it very much, but thankfully I have lots of hand work projects to keep me out of trouble!
I finished my "Bowls with Borders" project that I posted on my blog yesterday. That little quilt had a lot of hand quilting and hand beading, and I enjoyed every stitch.
Then I worked on the last block for my Journey of A Quilter project. This is a project that I've been working on for a long long time...guess it's a long journey! 
I have been using one of my favorite tools - the Clover Needle Threader
I discovered that you need to have the "right" combination of needle and thread to get it to work, but when it works, it's awesome. I have been using 2 strands of DMC embroidery floss for this project and this tool threads my needle with no problem. It is great for late night stitching when old, tired eyes can no longer thread a needle!
Most of the stitching on this block is a back stitch, but I made some french knots for the centers of some of the flowers and have really enjoyed that.
In my blogland travels this week I found a gorgeous Christmas quilt pattern with patchwork AND stitchery blocks...AND it's free.  Hop over to Red Brolly to download the patterns - step one is here.
What have you been stitching this week? 
Link up your blogpost about your hand work and share your progress with us!

9 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

Your flowers are so cute Kathy! I am hoping to get in some slow stitching this afternoon while watching the golf tournament and preseason football :*)

Judy D in WA said...

Love your stitches! I has been fun to watch your Journey of A Quilter project as it is coming together.
What would we do without our needle threaders. I think I own almost everyone but this one.
Thanks for the link to my next project. :)

julieQ said...

Thank you for the Link to Red Brolly...looks like a fantastic quilt!!

Janet O. said...

Your stitchery is very nice.
I haven't succumbed to a needle threader yet, though I probably really should. : ) I'm resisting admitting my age.

Denise :) said...

First, I love the photo in your header! Very fun! Your stitcheries are very sweet. Lovely details on your flowers! And isn't the Red Brolly freebie darling?! I've been saving the blocks as she gives them out. That will definitely be a fun one to work on!!! :)

Jodi - usairdoll said...

I'm so glad that you did the Bowls with Borders Blog Hop! because now I found you. hehe. Ok, I'm not crazy but I saw that you are working on/made the Journey of a Quilter project. I'm now a follower and I'm going to go back and catch up and see what I've missed. I'm going to be doing LeAnn's Hlouse (I'm sure it's that one and not JofAQ.) starting in January. I know it's a long committment but it's beautiful and will be a heirloom project so well worth the work. After the hop I'm going to read what you've posted. Again, glad I found you. Take Care

Deb A said...

Wow! You sure have been busy! I'll have to check out that threader. I've never seen it before. Thanks for the links... I may have to go and do some downloading!

scraphappy said...

The beading on your bowls is so sweet. Hope your machines are all working properly again soon. Glad you have found some handwork to keep you busy though. It is fun to see so many familiar projects in the linky boxes. Handwork does tend to stay around longer than machine work.

Carrie P. said...

Putting those beads on was a nice idea.
Thanks for the link.